Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy Anniversary

We are on the cusp of the 38th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, and I couldn´t be happier about it.  Exactly six years ago I was in attendance at a Roe Anniversary Gala with three of my righteous high school friends and all of our mothers.  No one in my party knew that I had had an abortion a few months before, not even my mom.  In a gorgeous ballroom, listening as our governer gave a moving speech, and surrounded by pro-choice women that I loved, I still couldn´t bring myself to break silence and admit that I had terminated a pregnancy.  The shame and stigma has GOT TO STOP.  This January 24th do yourself and other women a favor: speak up!  Tell a friend or family member, hell, tell your dog.  Write it down if you aren´t ready to talk about it.  But please, raise your voice just a little bit.  Gaining the courage to tell people about my abortion, and eventually televise my story, took a lot of time.  But you know what?  Every time I said the words out loud I felt a little lighter, a little more sure of myself, a little prouder.  I know that sounds cheesy as shit, but it´s the truth. 

And now for something completely different.

My cat died today : /  R.I.P. Pearl (1991-2011)

1 comment:

  1. RIP Pearl...who lived a long and obviously well-loved life.

    "The shame and stigma has GOT TO STOP."

    One third of American women have undergone abortion. If we are to preserve Roe, the first imperative is the end to the shaming and stigmatizing. Thank you for your courage, Natalia!

    ReplyDelete